Monday, March 3, 2008

A blank slate

Wouldn't that be nice - a blank slate, a start over, a redo, a mulligan?

However, what we do is recorded in the minds of those around us. They say they forgive you, but the reminder is always there (unless, like me, you are real forgetful).

And those of us who are christians: there is the book. I am not referring to the book of life, but the book of transgressions. All of your sins, big and small, recorded for a time when they will be read back to you.

Do you remember the time you pushed that kid down, or called her a nasty name? Do you remember the time you saw someone who was hurt and ignored them?

We can't redo, or start over. There is no blank slate. But have you ever heard of white out? Jesus died on the cross, and when we make Him our Lord and Savior, God just covers those over with the pure white of a sinless sacrifice, and then cross references us into the book of life.

Feeling a little down tonight with heavy thoughts. I will be back to my normal self soon, complete with some attitude adjustments. Humility is a hard lesson to learn.

1 comment:

Deana Callahan Wilisch said...

"Do you remember when you saw someone who was hurt and ignored them...."

Hey Bill. Long time. I was looking for old friends and found your blog. It's been what? 6 or 7 years since we last communicated?

Once upon a time you were one of my very best friends. We had a lot of drama happen....can't deny that. But I can tell you that I never, not once, lied to you or anyone else about what happened back then.

You were someone I always looked up to and admired. I wasn't always the easiest person to be friends with. I was devastated to lose your friendship. I was lucky to be able to rebuild my friendship with Gina, although it's still not as it was in the late 80's/early 90's.

You have an absolutely beautiful family. Your girls are totally precious, and it sounds like you have a wonderful wife from what I've been able to glimpse from here.

I would love to be able to talk to you sometime. If you're open to that. If you can forgive me for whatever transgressions need to be forgiven, either real or perceived.

You can reach me at anandia70@gmail.com or visit some of my profiles:

http://www.myspace.com/anandia or http://www.linkedin.com/in/dmcallahan4

For what it's worth, I am nothing like the person I was when we knew each other. I've been through a lot the last 16 years. But I can tell you that I am stronger for it, both as a person and as a Christian.

Hope to hear from you.

Deana