Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving and sleep

There is a direct correlation between Thanksgiving and sleeping. At least those are my memories. Not that my family ever needed an excuse to sleep. I have one sister who vibrates while sitting still, but even she can be coaxed into a mid-fall's nap. My wife however, finds sleeping incredibly boring, which is a concept I just can't conceive. Sleep is very exciting to me.

Even triptophan is not enough to knock her out. Not even a pile of dishes which need to be put off until later will make her sleepy. For me - and you can ask my dad for confirmation - the mere mention of chores that need to be done makes me sleepy.

Here are some things that make me sleepy:

Watching football, chores, conversations about feelings, conversations about conversations about feelings, conversations about conversations I don't remember (again), movies with plots about "relationships", getting too much sleep, sugar high letdowns, being sick on a holiday (which I am today - my in-laws were treated to the lovely sound of me snoring from the floor earlier), strategy games, math, studying, listening to instructors drone on about nothing, meetings, and turkey.

Okay, pretty much everything makes me sleepy, but Thanksgiving, which includes several of the things listed above, is especially sleepy to me. I have many fond memories of laying around doing nothing with my family. Something my family does well, and drives some people I know crazy.

I have a new saying lately: Chaos, like wine, is good in small doses. I think the same is true of insanity. It is good in small doses. Sleep, however should come in large doses and often.

No comments: